Camino day 9 to Castrojeriz

Yesterday May 29 was a day of changing scenery and ancient ruins. Leaving Burgos passing through little villages and entering the Meseta we have left olive groves and vineyards behind. There is still fields of wheat and poppies. Hontanas was a lovely village at the 30 km mark .. in retrospect I should have stayed there, with the sun shing and a relaxed vibe. I decided after a meal to walk to the next town Castrojeriz via San Anton. On the way a storm came in (I just avoided getting drenched ) and my blisters really started to hurt. The last 10 km took 3 hours and when I arrived the two albergues I thought I might stay in were full. There were several albergues on the way into town but I didn’t want to walk a couple of km backwards. I was a bit over it by this stage.. I eventually found a hotel and spent the night there, it was clean quiet and private and I had a lovely meal of seafood paella, then lamb stew (like Gwenda used to make Wakefield chops) and red wine. Ended up a lovely night. 

Km for day 42 / total 330

Ruins of castle built in 760 overlooking the town of Castrojeriz. 
Coming into Castrojeriz with the Colegiata de Santa Maria del Manzano (construction started 10th century) on the right 


Ruins of San Anton
Archway leaving Burgos 



Scenery along the trail

Coming into Hontanas









Comments

  1. Wow mum the journey is like a travel to the past, so many old ruins amazing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nurburgring Nordschleife

SR-71 Blackbird & Adrain Newey

3RD Day Isle Of Man 🇮🇲